Thursday, August 30, 2007

Parting It All Out

In order to stay somewhat organized, I made an Excel spreadsheet so I can track the stuff I need to build this thing. I tried listing everything I could think of so I don't kill myself on shipping costs by ordering multiple times from the same vendor. I know I'll mess this up but I at least want to get everything in hand so I can build the control panel.

The goal is to spend a weekend building the cabinet and control panel. Once I get that finished I can work on it in smaller bursts of time but with a newborn and a 3 year old running around there's not much free time these days. The wife and kids are spending a weekend in September at her parents so I'm hoping to put in two 16 hour days working on this. If I can get the frame built and stained and the control panel put together in one weekend so it looks nice then maybe, just maybe, my wife won't kill me when she sees it.

Here's the list of stuff I need to get started (all parts are being ordered from divemaster over at BYOAC):

Pushbuttons (24) - $1.35 ea. = $32.40
U360 Joystick (2) - $59.00 ea. = $118.00
Hard Spring for Joystick (2) - $5.00 ea. = $10.00
Circular Restrictors for Joystick (2) - $14.00 ea. = $28.00
Spinner (1) = $87.99
3" High Lip Trackball (1) = $64.99
Replacement Black Trackball (1) = $15.00
Trackball Mounting Plate (1) = $10.99
iPac2 [with USB cable] (1) = $43.00
OptiPac [with USB cable] (1) = $43.00

TOTAL = $453.37

Woah. There's really no way around this cost... This will cover all of the mechanical parts for the control panel except for the wiring.

2 comments:

rotheblo said...

This may be marginal, but couldn't you have saved some cost by purchasing matching color used push buttons from collectors on the rgvac, byoac, and klov groups? With microswitches? The costs on the buttons seems high and avoidable....

Rotheblog.com

Jason's Arcade Project said...

Don't forget the harness that interfaces the U360 to the buttons. It's better to have them connected that way for games that support a Gamepad ONLY. The u360 is seen as an HID device (joystick) in Windows.