Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Cabinet Profile

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I think I've settled on a design but I'm not that thrilled with it... well, it's going to look awesome when it's done (hopefully) but the design I've chosen limits the monitor size to a 19" LCD. Not a big deal but I was originally planning on going with something a lot bigger.

Here's the profile:


I had nothing to do with this design - Knievel over at the BYOAC forums came up with this (among other brilliant designs) and I don't want to reinvent the wheel so I'm just going to use the dimensions he came up with.

My decision to use this design is mainly because I really want to make a "furniture-style" cabinet with a dark stained finish and a slim profile that doesn't overwhelm an entire room. If I am going to convince anyone that an arcade cabinet can be placed somewhere other than a basement it's going to have to blend in and not be an eyesore. The desired slim profile and a 27" arcade monitor cannot co-exist. If I adapted this design to fit the monitor I wanted I'd have to add about 8" to the overall thickness and also make it taller. This added surface area would throw off the elegant proportions and look a little off when stained. Oh well - I'll build the 27" cabinet for my next one.

No comments: