Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Cutting Corners

Not much progress over the weekend, unfortunately. Anyway, I did manage to sneak away for 20 minutes and finish squaring up the 4 inside corners in the side panels.

Here's a shot of the top showing the squared-up corner:

I know - try to contain your excitement. Making the cuts was actually way easier than I thought it was going to be - having the right tool for the job helped too. I used a Japanese hand saw (also called a flush saw) and a little patience to cut each corner exactly square. I placed the blade of the saw along the edge of the plywood in a position to cut away the excess material. Then I just moved the saw back and forth while making sure that the blade remained as tight as possible against the plywood edge. I'm actually surprised at how accurate the cuts came out using the Japanese hand saw - they almost look machined.

Here's a close-up of the finished corner:
I don't have a "before" shot because apparently I don't think that far in advance. I'll be routing out the slot for the t-molding next - sometime this week after work one night. So this is where I'm at for both sides now that the two interior corners are cut (on the top and where the control panel will rest):

It's slowly coming together. Cutting out the interior panels should be fairly easy so hopefully next time I have a few hours I'll end up with something three dimensional.

No comments: