Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Rotate The Monitor?

This will probably make me want to kill someone but I think it would be really cool if I could figure it out. Since the LCD monitor is not going to fill up the space between the two side panels I think there will be room to add in some sort of rotation mechanism. This will allow me to play horizontal (4:3) games with a horizontal monitor and vertical (3:4) games with a vertical monitor. This poses four major obstacles:
  1. building a circular frame to allow the monitor to rotate;
  2. implementing some sort of motor to rotate the monitor (clockwise and counterclockwise);
  3. installing software to tell the monitor which way to face based on the game that is launched; and
  4. hiding the fact that the monitor rotates (I don't want the circular frame to be visible).
I really have no idea how to go about accomplishing any of this but it will be fun to learn. I envision building something similar to the awesome drawing I made on the left - a circular frame that moves to position the monitor vertically or horizontally.

Several people over at BYOAC with way more skills than me have figured it out (especially THIS GUY) so hopefully I can follow their lead and get something working.

2 comments:

kaien island wolves said...

Im using a 22" LCD mounted on a Lazy susan

kaien island wolves said...

Im using a 22" LCD mounted on a Lazy susan